Photo Story: Two Years in the Philippines


(Copyright (c) 2011 Cynthia Shenette) These two images are from my dad's collection of photos from the Philippines.  Dad was stationed in the Philippines for two years in the late 1930s.  He didn't seem to be unhappy with his time  there, but it didn't sound like a garden spot to me.  I can only imagine how difficult it was in camp with the heat, the humidity, and the bugs.  He use to talk about having to turn his boots upside down every morning before putting them on to make sure there weren't scorpions or other critters inside them.


Dad said he was on the last ship out of the Philippines before the Japanese invasion at the beginning of World War II.  According to his records he separated from the service in California on November 19, 1941.  Less than a month later the Japanese invaded the Philippines ten hours after the attack on Pearl Harbor.  I've always wondered how the other guys that dad served with in the 31st Infantry made out.  The 31st was involved in the defense of the Philippines.  The end result--the Bataan Death March four months later in April of 1942.  I wonder if Dad had one of those, "There but the grace of God go I" moments...

Please check out some of my other links regarding my dad's time in the Philippines below.


Other Post You Might Like:

The Haircut - Wordless Wednesday
The Neatest Private on Guard - Treasure Chest Thursday
Company M, Thirty-First U.S. Infantry - Military Monday
Remembering Pearl Harbor

No comments: