Remembering Pearl Harbor

(Images and Text, Copyright(c) 2010 Cynthia Shenette) I took these photos on my first trip to Hawaii in 1997. I knew one of the places I had to visit while I was there was Pearl Harbor. My dad, Henry Shenette, spent almost five years in the U.S. Army, from 1936 to 1941. He finished his time in the army and separated from the service on 19 Nov 1941 in California. He barely had time to make it home to Massachusetts. Pearl Harbor was attacked on 07 Dec 1941, 18 days later. He reenlisted into the U.S. Navy on 12 Feb 1942. He served on the USS Indiana in the Pacific Theatre during World War II, and finally retired from the navy in 1957.


The Pearl Harbor Visitor's Center.


The Pearl Harbor Memorial.


The site of the USS Arizona.


The wall of names inside the memorial.




Other Posts You Might Like:

Wordless Wednesday: Dad, Somewhere Cold
Veteran's Day: The Life of a Doughboy, 1918
Tombstone Tuesday: Francois Chenette, Civil War Soldier
Tuesday's Tip: Consider Adding Links to Your Blog

2 comments:

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

I just saw the Pearl Harbor rollup on Geneabloggers, and I clicked on your post first. I'm so surprised to see that you and I not only took some of the same views of the Arizona memorial, but we posted some of the same views, too! Great minds think alike! Thanks for posting.

Cynthia Shenette said...

LOL. So true, so true. Great minds do think alike. Thanks for your nice comment!