The Neatest Private on Guard - Treasure Chest Thursday

(Original Image and Text, Copyright (c) 2011 Cynthia ShenetteI love this.  I know exactly where my dad was on July 26, 1939.  Actually, to be more specific, I know exactly where he wasn't on July 26, 1939.  He wasn't on duty.  I found this Orderly Pass in with my dad's military documents and thought I'd post it for Treasure Chest Thursday.  It's nice to know that besides his two silver stars, two bronze stars, good conduct medal, and various other military campaign medals, he can also count being the "neatest private on guard" among his many accomplishments.

ORDERLY PASS
HEADQUARTERS POST OF MANILA
Office of the Commanding Officer

Pvt. Henry A. Shenette, 6138[***],      Manila, P.I.
Company M, 31st Infantry,                    July 24, 1939.
having been selected as the neatest private
on guard   7/21/39   is authorized to be absent
from his company and duties from   6:00 A.M.,
Wednesday, July 26 to 6:00 A.M., Thursday, July 27,
1939.___________________________________
By order of the Post Commander.
[Signature of R. M. Lawson]
R. M. LAWSON
Major, 31st Infantry, Adjutant.


Other Posts You Might Like:

The Haircut - Wordless Wednesday
Company M, Thirty-First U.S. Infantry - Military Monday
Happy Birthday Dad - Wordless Wednesday
Wordless Wednesday: A June Wedding

5 comments:

Debi Austen said...

How fun is that? Do you remember that he was extra neat when you were growing up?

Jo said...

Way to go, Pte Henry! How lovely that you have this document :-) Jo

Cynthia Shenette said...

Debi - Thank you for your comment! Good question. No my dad wasn't the overly neat type, but he was definately particular about some things, like his work even after he retired from the military.

Jo - Thank you for your comment!

Susan Clark said...

I've enjoyed all your posts about your father's Navy days, but this is wonderful! Just the sort of extra detail that adds depth and color to our images of our families.

I shan't speculate on how he spent his leisure...

Cynthia Shenette said...

Susan - LOL. You should enjoy my next Wordless Wednesday post...