Photo Story: Helping the Red Cross During World War I


(Original Image and Text, Copyright (c) 2011 Cynthia Shenette) While the men were off to the war in Europe the women helped out at home.  This is a photo of my grandmother's cousin Sophie (Kowalewski) Konopka (1898-1987). For another photo of Red Cross volunteers check out my post (Almost) Wordless Wednesday: WWI Red Cross Volunteers.  According to the Red Cross website there were 107 local chapters of the Red Cross in 1914 but that number grew to 3,864 by 1918.


Other Posts You Might Like:

Flu 1918 (Part 1 of 3) - Amanuensis Monday
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun...
My Family Tree: A Literal Interpretation
(Not So) Wordless Wednesday: The Kowalewski Family

6 comments:

Carol said...

Another great photo! Thanks for sharing it.

Kristin said...

She looks ready to tackle anything. How are you finding posting everyday?

Jasia said...

I know I say this all the time but you truly do have the best old pics!

Cynthia Shenette said...

Carol - Thank you for your comment!

Kristin- I enjoy posting every day, BUT my problem is (as always) a lack of time. Luckily writing is easy for me, and I have a lot of photos to choose from, but I'm finding that other things like social media are going by the wayside.

Jasia - Thank you for your comment! I do feel lucky to have all the photos I do. This exercise has been interesting for figuring out what photos I have lots of and where there are gaps in my photo history.

Root Digger said...

I Love this photo! Excellent shot into history.

Cynthia Shenette said...

Yvette - Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for your comment!