(Not So) Wordless Wednesday: The Kowalewski Family

(Original Image and Text, Copyright (c) 2010 Cynthia Shenette) Genetics are an interesting thing. I have a number of photos in my collection with no information on them, but I can tell they are ancestors just by who they look like in my family. I know nothing for sure about the people in this photo, but I know we are related. Several people in the photo clearly resemble the Kowalewski side of the family.

I've always wondered how I ended up with a very blond little boy. I have dark brown hair. My parents had dark brown hair, my grand-parents had dark brown hair, and my great-grandparents had dark brown hair. The first time I saw this photograph I thought, wow. Look at the little boy in the center and the girl to the left. Unfortunately there is no information written on the photograph itself.

Given the resemblance I figured out they are part of the Kowalewski family. I know the Kowalewski family came from the former Lomza province in the Goworowo, Szczawin area near Ostrolenka (also spelled Ostroleka). My guess is the photo dates from some time in the early nineteen hundreds given the clothing style. The photo was taken in the old country. I know because the young man in the back row is wearing a Polish/Russian military uniform.

Have you been able to identify old photographs just by looking at the family resemblance?


Other Posts You Might Like:

Reflecting on My American Experience This Thanksgiving

Tuesday's Tip: A Tale of Two Indexers
Books of Interest - Landowners in Poland, 1913-1939
Books of Interest - St. Denis: A French Canadian Parish

2 comments:

Susan Clark said...

I had to grin reading this, Cynthia. My dark haired father was a towhead as a child. Looked like a Swedish foundling dropped in with his family. By his first communion he had light brown hair. By his wedding dark brown. I've followed suit, though I never was as blond as he.

Cynthia Shenette said...

How does this happen? My son was born with brown hair. The brown hair fell out and he turned blond, towhead blond. He is still very blond. We keep waiting for it to turn, but nothing yet. My mother's theory was that it had something to do with the Swedes invading Poland at some point in time. ;)