A Postcard from Paris, 1918 (Part 2 of 2) - Amanuensis Monday



(Digital Image. Postcard Privately Held By Cynthia Shenette; Text Copyright (c) 2012 Cynthia Shenette)

Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

Thanks to John Newmark at Transylvanian Dutch for providing the idea for Amanuensis Monday.

A couple of weeks ago I posted part one of this series.  I intended to post the subsequent part a little bit sooner, but vacation, as well as other summer activities have gotten in the way of my posting in a slightly more timely manner.  Well, better late than never, as they say...

September 1st 1918
My dear Antosia,
Tonight I received letter from you which I'm very thankful for. I was very pleased when I got it because I didn't have any news from you for over a month. You wrote that letter on July 7th and same night I was on the way. You may be impatient that you are not getting letters from me too often but you have to get use to it. Write to me as often as you can because letter is the thing [illegible]
I'm sending my regards to everyone.
Yours Adolf

I'd like to thank my cousin Marek for his Polish to English translation of the postcard.  

There is so much information here.  I didn't know exactly when my grandfather was in France.  According to the postcard, he left on July 7, 1918.  He wasn't in France long.  The war ended when the armistice was signed on November 11, 1918.  The censor stamps are interesting.  I'm not quite sure which unit he belonged to.  It's written at the top of the card, but I don't really understand the return address.  The Massachusetts National Guard Military Museum and Archives is close to where I live.  My plan is visit sometime soon to see if the archivist recognizes the address.  If any of my blog readers can decipher the return address I'd love to hear from you!

A Postcard from Paris, 1918 (Part 1 of 2) - Those Places Thursday


Other Posts You Might Like:

Veteran's Day: The Life of a Doughboy, 1918
A Comedy of Errors: My Family In the Census (Part 1 of 3)
Flu 1918 (Part 1 of 3) - Amanuensis Monday
(Almost) Wordless Wednesday: WWI Red Cross Volunteers 

No comments: