Photo Story: Two Brothers Are Sent to America


(Original Image and Text, Copyright (c) 2011 Cynthia Shenette) After Wincenty was conscripted into the Russian army, Jozefa and Leonard made arrangements to send my grandfather Adolf and his older brother Aleksander (1892-1962) to America.  The brothers didn't know anything about their parents' plans to send them to America until the day they were to leave.

My mother said her father use to tell my mother and her siblings about how he and his brother escaped from what was then Russian or Congress Poland.  Adolf and Aleksander crossed the border between Poland and Germany.  Apparently there were ditches dug along the border.  My grandfather fell in a ditch in the dark and managed to get a bloody nose.  The brothers eventually made their way to the Netherlands.  My mother said her father always talked about how kind the people in Holland were to them and how beautiful the Dutch countryside was during tulip time.

Adolf and Aleksander boarded a ship in Rotterdam and arrived at Ellis Island on April 3, 1913.  From there they traveled to Webster, MA to stay with Victoria (Szerejko) Radziewicz and her daughter Marianna and son-in-law Dominik Piascik.  Eventually my grandfather settled in Worcester, MA.  Aleksander settled in Buffalo, NY.


Other Posts You Might Like:

What's In a Name? (An Ongoing Series): Radziewicz
(Almost) Wordless Wednesday: Polka Time!
Presenter Interview: Colleen Fitzpatrick, Forensic Genealogist
Going Home: Our Lady of Czestochowa, Worcester, MA

3 comments:

Kristin said...

What a great photograph. Your grandfather is the one sitting on the arm of the chair who looks sort of like you?

Susan Clark said...

I'm just catching up on your November project and am so amazed. Fabulous work. What a gift you've given yourself and your family this year!

Cynthia Shenette said...

Kristin - You have a good eye. My grandfather is the one sitting on the arm of the chair. My mom looked just like her dad, and I look just like my mom.

Susan - I'm just catching up with my November project too! I've been wanting to do this for a while now, but never seem to have time. I figured the only way to get it done is to jump right in. I hope I can keep it going...

Thank you both for your comments!