(Almost) Wordless Wednesday: Polka Time!

(Copyright (c) 2010 Cynthia Shenette) Actually I have no idea if it's polka time or not. I also have no idea what the history of this photo is, but it's a fun photo none the less. The people in the photo are my grandfather Adolf Szerejko's older brother, Alexander Szarejko (11 Nov 1892-21 Jul 1962) and his wife Klara (Kruzicki) Szarejko (08 Aug 1898-29 Jan 1991). Note the difference in the spelling of the surname--Szerejko versus Szarejko. I feel another article in my What's in a Name? series coming on...

6 comments:

Susan Clark said...

Great photo! Love the body language, costumes, everything.

Lisa Wallen Logsdon said...

Absolutely wonderful photo! Wouldn't we just love to know the story behind such things?

Jasia said...

Terrific photo! I'm imagining all the bright colors of the folk costumes... they must have been lovely. I would love to have a family photo like this in my collection. I do have a couple photos of my great grandparents in their folk costumes in Poland but they are the typical emotionless pictures so common in the day. I'm still grateful to have them but oh how I wish they had life like your photo does! Thanks for sharing!

Cynthia Shenette said...

Hi Ladies. Thanks for your nice comments. Susan, you're right about the body language. The look on Klara's face is definately the look a wife would give to a husband, if you know what I mean. Lisa, I would love to know the story behind this photo. Alas, I don't know if I'll ever find out. Jasia, I did exactly the same thing trying to imagine the beautiful, bright colors instead of the cold black and white. You also gave me a good idea as well. I have several people in costumes for one thing or another, so maybe I'll do a "costume" theme one month for Wordless Wednesday. Thanks again everyone!

Basia said...

Cynthia, great photo! I notice that it's dated (in Polish) 6 April 1926.

Cynthia Shenette said...

Basia,

Thanks for your comment, and thank you also for the date information. Between the handwriting and the Polish I wasn't able to make it out. I know the names, Klara and Alex. I knew the date was 1920 something.

I appreciate your help!