Photo Story: Three Brothers Stay in Poland (Part 3 of 3) - Wordless Wednesday

Jan Alojzy Szerejko (1902-1974)
(Original Image and Text, Copyright (c) 2011 Cynthia Shenette)

Jan Szerejko

Have you ever had a breakthrough that was so amazing that you can't believe it when it happens? Back in 2004 I posted a message on a genealogy discussion board looking for information about my grandfather's family. For years I wondered what happened to the family in Poland.  Imagine my surprise when I received an answer to my discussion board query in 2010, six years after I posted my initial message.  To say I was surprised to be contacted by a grandchild of my grandfather's brother is an understatement.  It was also interesting to learn that while we in the States were wondering what happened to the family in Poland, they were wondering what happened to us.

Jan Szerejko was the youngest of the six brothers and was only 11 when my grandfather Adolf and his brother Aleksander immigrated to the United States.  I learned that Jan remained in the greater Warsaw area where he married, raised a family, and operated a grocery store.

It's amazing to think that it's been almost a hundred years since my grandfather left Poland and our families are still in touch.  My cousin tells me that his parents and family read my blog.  For a genealogist it just doesn't get better than that.


Other Posts You Might Like:

Memories of the M/S Pilsudski? An Author Wants YOU!
Chopin Rising
Reflecting on My American Experience This Thanksgiving
My Family Tree: A Literal Interpretation

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Isn't this the kind of story all of us thrill to hear?! To find family several generations down and to know they read your blog is so wonderful. Congratulations!

Susan Clark said...

It really doesn't get any better. And it's a joy for me to see your photos and share in your good fortune.

Barbara Poole said...

Wow, I just got chills reading this happy post.

Cynthia Shenette said...

Nancy, Susan, and Barbara - Thank you all for your comments! It really doesn't get better than this. To reconnect after so long and so far away truly is amazing. I wish everyone could have a moment like this...