Photo Story: Three Brothers Stay in Poland (Part 2 of 3)


(Original Image and Text, Copyright (c) 2011 Cynthia Shenette)

Henryk Szerejko

Years ago, before I started doing genealogy, I came across this photo in a big box of photos at my mom's house.  I was intrigued by this young man, a boy really, in a military uniform.  I had no idea who he was.  The only clue to his identification was "Henick" or "Heniek" written on the back of the photo.  I eventually discovered Henick was my grandfather's brother Henryk Szerejko (1898-1968).  Henryk was only fifteen when my grandfather Adolf and his brother Aleksander were sent to America.  Henryk and Adolf must have remained close despite the distance between them.  They wrote letters to one another on a fairly regular basis for almost fifty years, and their wives continued to correspond even after the deaths of the men.  The last letter I have from Henryk's wife Rozalia to my grandmother was written in 1980.  The two family's stayed in touch for almost 70 years.  It's amazing when you think about it...


Other Posts you Might Like:

Post World War II "Care" Packages - Amanuensis Monday
(Almost) Wordless Wednesday: Me and My Doll
Amanuensis Monday: Where My Doll Came From
Treasure Chest Thursday: Travel Diary, Poland 1937

No comments: