Memories of the M/S Pilsudski? An Author Wants YOU!


Helen Bulak, M/S Pilsudski, 1937
(Original Image and Text, Copyright (c) 2011 Cynthia Shenette) Last spring I was contacted by Gzregorz Rogowski from Poland who is doing research on the M/S Pilsudski and her sister ship the M/S Batory.  He is writing a history of the two ships which is scheduled to be published by a major publisher in Poland in 2013.  Greg asked if he might use the images and memorabilia I have posted on my blog, as well as additional material in my collection from my aunt Helen Bulak's 1937 trip to Poland.

The Pilsudski and the Batory were owned by the Gdynia-America Line and traveled back and forth on a regular schedule between Gdynia, Poland and New York City between their launch in 1935 and the beginning of World War II.  On November 26, 1939 the M/S Pilsudski was sunk by a German U-Boat off the coast of Yorkshire, England after it was commandeered by the British for military use.  The Batory survived the war and again served as a passenger liner  after the war.

Greg is looking to interview anyone who has stories about traveling or working on the Pilsudski or the Batory or has or had family or friends who traveled or worked on either of the ships.  Over the last  few months I have had a couple of people contact me to either tell me about their ancestor's experiences on one of the ships or to ask for Greg's e-mail address.  Unfortunately both Greg and I have been away for the summer which has led to a delay in my posting his contact information.  I also wanted to get his permission before I posted his e-mail address on my blog.  I apologize for the delay to those who have been waiting to hear from me regarding his e-mail address.

If you are interesting in talking to Greg about your family's experiences on the Pilsudski or the Batory, please contact him at rogas86 at wp.pl (I have not used the @ symbol in an attempt to avoid spam bots).  I am sure he would be happy to hear from you.  Greg has agreed to let me interview him about his project and post the interview on my blog sometime in the next month or two, so stay tuned!


Other Posts You Might Like:

Treasure Chest Thursday: Travel Diary, Poland 1937
Grandma in a Tree - Wordless Wednesday
Flu 1918 (Part 1 of 3) - Amanuensis Monday
Does Your Public Library Have a Vertical File? - Tuesday's Tip

No comments: