The Civilian Conservation Corps in New Hampshire (Part 7)

(
(Digital Images. Photographs Privately Held By Cynthia Shenette; Text Copyright (c) 2013 Cynthia Shenette) After three months and almost sixty photos later this is my last post with photos from my dad's CCC album from the dam project he worked on in Campton, New Hampshire.  I knew it was going to take a while to post all of the photos, but I will admit it took a little longer than expected. There are a few vintage postcards in my dad's album from Fort Devens, but my guess is they are easy to find elsewhere on either eBay or the Internet so I won't be taking the the time to post them here, at least for now.

My dad is in the photo below on the scaffolding on the dam.  I was happy to find him in one of the construction photos.  I also found the photo which included the young African American man below interesting.  My impression before seeing this photo was that the CCCs were mostly if not all segregated.  I did a bit of quick research and discovered that the CCCs were integrated at the beginning, but that changed in the later years of the program.  Obviously, I don't know what relationship the young man below had with the other enrollees in his camp but he looks as if he is included in the photo as part of a group of buddies.  I'd like to think that was the case.

It's time to say goodbye to Campton and my time with the CCCs. Again, if you recognized anyone in any of the photos that I've posted over the last three months I'd love to hear from you.  I love to add a name to a face!

Henry Albert Shenette


An Integrated CCC Unit






Other Posts You Might Like:

Photo Story: Dad and A Mystery Solved 
U.S. Naval School, Newport, R.I. - Military Monday
Tombstone Tuesday: Francois Chenet, Civil War Soldier
Wordless Wednesday: Dad, Somewhere Cold

No comments: