A St. Joseph's Day Celebration - Wordless Wednesday

Unidentified Friend, St. Joseph's Day, 19 March 1917

(Digital Images. Photographs Privately Held By Cynthia Shenette; Photographs and Text, Copyright (c) 2013 Cynthia Shenette)  These photographs of my grandfather, Adolf Szerejko, and his friend crack me up.  Clearly they are celebrating St. Joseph's Day--they even took the time to make a sign.  Maybe his friend's name was Joseph, and they were celebrating the friend's name day big time. 

My grandmother told me my grandfather wasn't much of a drinker.  My guess is he and his friend were goofing around with the camera taking pictures to impress (or not impress, depending on your point of view) their respective girlfriends.  Given the number of bottles on the table and in the bags they'd either be in the hospital or dead if they drank all that.  

Adolf Szerejko, Ordering Another...
I've done a little reading on St. Joseph's Day celebrations, but this doesn't seem to quite fit in with what I've read.  If you are Polish or of Polish descent and can enlighten me as to some St. Joseph's Day tradition that involves a seriously party hardy attitude I'd love to hear from you! 

Unidentified Friend, Sleeping it Off
 Na zdrowie!



Other Posts You Might Like:

(Almost) Wordless Wednesday: A Couple of Swells
Little Kid, Big Bunny - Wordless Wednesday
Niagara Honeymoon - Wordless Wednesday
Meditation: The Strength of Ordinary Women 

No comments: