Taking A Dip


(Digital Image. Photograph Privately Held By Cynthia Shenette. Photograph and Text, Copyright (c) 2012 Cynthia Shenette)  This photograph was probably taken at a church picnic for the parishioners of Our Lady of Czestochowa in Worcester, MA. I don't know exactly when it was taken, but my best guess is the late 1910s.  Zoom in, and check out the many details.

I love the two ladies in their long sleeve dresses and umbrellas primly watching the action in the water from the grassy bank, and I'm fascinated by the scantily clad (at least according to the standards of the day) woman on the left wearing just her shift!  Shocking!  I bet that made for some lively parlor conversation among the parishioners later that evening!  The children close to shore appear to be wearing their bathing suits and are no doubt wading where their parents can keep a close eye on them.  My grandfather, Adolf Szerejko, is the man in the water with his foot raised way up in the air.  Skinny dipping?  Probably not.  I love that the man on left didn't even bother to take off his hat before he jumped into the water!

If you have a moment, check out my post for last year's annual Swimsuit Edition of the Carnival of Genealogy.  It's one of my favorite all time blog posts.  After all, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun too, you know...

Submitted for the 119th edition of the Carnival of Genealogy. 

Other Posts You Might Like:

A Pretty Girl on Old Cape Cod
Not So Wordless Wednesday: Cape Cod Memories
Climbing Over Rocky Mountain - Wordless Wednesday
The Worcester Tornado, June 9, 1953 - Those Places Thursday

10 comments:

Kristin said...

Great photo! I like the man in the hat, the lady in the shift and your grandfather too.

Carol said...

Another great photo! Love it all. I continue to have photo envy!

Jasia said...

Doesn't this photo just make you want to jump in and have a great swim with these folks? The water looks so inviting and the folks look like they're having a great time. :-) Thanks for sharing and participating in the COG, Cynthia!

Cynthia Shenette said...

Thank you ladies for your comments! This is a fun photo! We were at a friend's lake house the other day, and I couldn't help but think of this photo. Times have changed, but the fun is still the same!

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

I love the point of view in this photo. The camera was probably just above water level. In those days cameras were heavy and awkward, so that makes this photo a real classic!

Julie said...

Cynthia great photo.....shhhh I won't tell anyone she is in her shift if you don't! I bet a bit was said! Thank you for sharing! I am feeling a bit cooler!

Cynthia Shenette said...

Heather - Thanks so much for your comment! You make a very interesting observation. I hadn't really thought about it, but I wonder if the person taking the photo was in the water, too!

Cynthia Shenette said...

Julie - Thanks for stopping by and for your comment! I think you are right. I bet a bit was said!

Ravenswick said...

Wonderful photo. I too love the contrast between the "scanty outfit" woman and the one fully clothed under the umbrella.

Cynthia Shenette said...

Ravenswick - Thank you for your comment, and thanks for stopping by!