Mystery Monday: Here Come the (Mystery) Brides, Again

(Original Image and Text, Copyright (c) 2010 Cynthia Shenette) Thank you Thomas MacEntee for introducing new daily blogging themes at Geneabloggers! I've been trying to figure out how to post all of my mystery photos to hopefully identify some of the people in them. Mystery Monday presents the perfect opportunity to do just that.

My mystery collection seems to include an inordinate number of wedding photos, as I mentioned back in June in my post (Almost) Wordless Wednesday: Here Come The (Mystery) Brides. Call me an optimist, but I'm hoping some of you out there in geneablogger land can help me to identify some of the people in these portraits.


I honestly believe my grandparents and great-grandparents attended EVERY Polish wedding in Worcester, MA from 1900 until 1970. They received a photo of each event and then promptly forgot to label the photo as to whose wedding it was. I found the photos in the basement of my mom's house several years ago, and I just can't seem to toss all of these lovely brides out. Some of them I suspect are relatives--I can tell by the family resemblance. Others, I don't have a clue. My aunt Helen Bulak seems to be a bridesmaid in a number of them. My grandmother was a soloist at St. Mary's Church (Our Lady of Czestochowa) in Worcester and in her own words, "I sang all the weddings." My guess is she sang at someone's wedding and received a photo as a thank you in return.

What do I know about this photo? The photographer on the cardboard mount is listed as Knight's in Worcester MA. So the photo was probably of a wedding that took place in Worcester, MA. I see a family resemblance in the bride and the bridesmaid to the left of the bride. My guess is the bride and the bridesmaid are perhaps related to my Bulak or Kowalewski relations. My grandmother's family didn't live in Worcester until 1900, so the photo was probably taken after 1900. If you have family, or know someone who has family of Polish descent who lived and married in Worcester, MA, about 1900 to 1912, particularly if they have the last name Bulak, Bullock, or Kowalewski, send them my way.

Now who's ready to catch the bouquet?

No comments: