Purgatory Chasm, Middletown, Rhode Island - Those Places Thursday


(Photographs and Text, Copyright (c) 2014 Cynthia Shenette) What a difference a century makes!  Well, maybe not exactly a century, but pretty darn close to it.  The original photo was probably taken about 95 years years ago, in the late 1910s.  I wrote a post about it back in April 2012.  At the time I wasn't sure where the photo was taken, but with a little research and a whole lot of luck discovered it was taken at Purgatory Chasm in Middletown, Rhode Island.

My family and I go to Newport every once in a while, and last November I managed to talk my husband into stopped at Purgatory Chasm which is a couple of miles from where we spent the weekend.


It's amazing how different things look now.  It's hard to see the ocean with all of the trees and brush in the way.  I wondered from what vantage point the original photo was taken. Now I know.  There is a footbridge over the chasm.  I took my photo from the same spot.


There's also another lookout over the rocks to the left of the chasm.  See all of the dots in the surf? Crazy people Surfers in the cold November water. Brrr.



Other Posts You Might Like:

Baby It's Cold Outside - Wordless Wednesday
Circus Girls Are "Normal" - Amanuensis Monday
The Death and Funeral of Charles Senecal - Amanuensis Monday
More Than Meets the Eye (Again): A Tuesday's Tip Follow Up!

2 comments:

Elizabeth Handler said...

How cool that you found the spot where a picture was taken almost 100 years ago. Thanks for sharing and this makes me want to look through my photos for a very old photo of a place I currently know.

Cynthia Shenette said...

Thanks, Elizabeth! I hope you decide to post about your photo!