Helene, In Color AND Black and White - Those Places Thursday



(Digital Image. Photographs Privately Held By Cynthia Shenette; Photographs and Text, Copyright (c) 2013 Cynthia Shenette)  This is a photo of my mom's sister, Helene (Szerejko) Dingle (1923-1955), taken at Tumbleweed Guest Ranch in Westkill, New York in 1943.  Which photo do you like best, the one in color or the black and white?  It's kind of interesting comparing one to the other.  I think there are advantages to both, though I prefer the one in black and white.  The details in the black and white are more defined and the image of Helene seems more real for some reason.  The hand-colored photograph is interesting but appears harsh.  Some of the details in the background seem lost, but the colored one does pick up one interesting detail. Look closer. Helene is wearing red fingernail polish!

If you have a minute take a look at my recent post, Tumbleweed Guest Ranch, August 1943.  If your or your ancestor spent time there, especially during the 1940s, I'd love to hear from you!



Other Posts You Might Like:

Grandma, Two Kittens, and One Little Boy - Wordless Wednesday
Memories of the M/S Pilsudski? An Author Wants YOU!
Happy Labor Day!
Tombstone Tuesday: Jacob Riis, Riverside Cemetery, Barre, MA

5 comments:

Denholms said...

I love this post. I just added something in a similar vain to the Denholms blog. Thank you for sharing.
Chris

Barbara Poole said...

My goodness, you look just like your mother. In reply, I am extra fond of older photos being in black and white.

Barbara Poole said...

Whoops, Sorry Cindy, I read it too fact, I should have said your aunt.

Kristin said...

I prefer the black and white too. It's odd since life is not in black and white, but I think they look more "real" than colorized.

K. Dillard said...

Great picture! Thanks for sharing.