Worcester Tornado Memorial - Tombstone Tuesday


(Original Images and Text, Copyright (c) 2011 Cynthia ShenetteThese are photos I took yesterday at the Worcester Tornado Memorial on the campus of Quinsigamond Community College.  In 1953 the campus belonged to Assumption College which has since relocated to Salisbury St. in Worcester.  The Worcester tornado blew through the center of the Assumption campus killing several people and destroying much of the campus.  The granite memorial marker lists all of the names of the 94 people killed by the tornado on June 9, 1953.








Other Posts You Might Like:

The Worcester Tornado, June 9, 1953 - Those Places Thursday
Flu 1918 (Part 1 of 3) - Amanuensis Monday
Tombstone Tuesday: Jacob Riis, Riverside Cemetery, Barre, MA
A Matter of Habit: Solving a Mystery

4 comments:

Barbara Poole said...

I never knew about this memorial, and I'm glad you found it, and shared it with us. Your article last week about the tornado was the best I've read.

Cynthia Shenette said...

Barbara - Thank you for such a nice comment! The memorial is lovely, and the flowers are beautiful. The Worcester tornado is one of those things all long-time Worcester residents seem to have a story about. It's nice that people who want to visit the memorial have such a lovely place to go.

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

I'm still catching up on my blog reading after Jamboree. I loved your two posts on the tornado, and I'm going to look for this memorial the next time I'm at Mom's house. We pass right by Quinsig on the way to her house, and I've never seen this monument. I'm glad you posted it, and I'll be bringing Mom to see it soon.

Cynthia Shenette said...

Heather - Thank you for your comment. FYI, you can see the memorial from the road so you shouldn't have any trouble finding it when you and your mom visit.