Man O' War - Tombstone Tuesday

Man O' War, Sculpture by Herbert Haseltine
(Original Image and Text, Copyright (c) 2011 Cynthia Shenette) Given that the Kentucky Derby is this coming weekend, I thought it would be kind of fun to show a tombstone of a different kind this week. This is a photo of where the great racehorse Man O' War is buried at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, KY. My family and I visited Kentucky in August of 2009 when my husband had to travel to to Lexington for business. My son and I visited the Kentucky Horse Park while my husband was at work one day.

While Man O' War never won the Kentucky Derby he is still considered to be by many the greatest racehorse of all time. His offspring include the 1929 Kentucky Derby winner Clyde Van Deusen and the1939 Triple Crown winner War Admiral.  He was also the grand-daddy of legendary horse Seabiscut. 


Other Posts You Might Like:

Tombstone Tuesday: Jacob Riis, Riverside Cemetery, Barre, MA
Tuesday's Tip: A Tale of Two Indexers
Tombstone Tuesday: Francois Chenette, Civil War Soldier
Tombstone Tuesday: Frank L. Naramore, The End of a "Tragedy"

2 comments:

Lisa Wallen Logsdon said...

I was such a horse freak when I was a kid in the 50s and 60s. I read every horse book in the library and Man O' War was one of my favorites. When I was in my 20s my dream came true and I had my own horse(s).

Loved seeing the memorial for this wonderful horse hero, thanks for posting!

Cynthia Shenette said...

You're welcome, Lisa! The Kentucky Horse Park is a wonderful place to visit.