Not So Wordless Wednesday: Mule Train Into the Grand Canyon

(Original Image and Text, Copyright (c) 2010 Cynthia Shenette) This photo was taken in October of 1949. My mom, Christine (Szerejko) Shenette is the fifth rider from the bottom. The visit to the Grand Canyon was her final stop on a cross-country bus trip by herself. Mom told me she would save up her money and vacation time at work for a couple of years and then take a trip. On this particular trip she made stops in Chicago, Salt Lake City, with her final destination in California. She met family friends of my grandparents, Ben and Stella Lewanas, when she arrived in California. I know she also visited San Francisco, Yosemite National Park, and Pasadena. I have a collector's plate from Pasadena on the wall in my kitchen that she brought back from her trip. From California she stopped at the Grand Canyon, where this photo was taken. I believe my mom stayed at the Bright Angel Lodge. She often talked about her mule ride down into the canyon--clearly a highlight from her trip. Apparently she enjoyed her time so much at the Grand Canyon, she overstayed her visit and had to take the bus straight home, making no stops between Arizona and Massachusetts to get back to work the following week!

4 comments:

Michelle Goodrum said...

I love it!. That is truly a "vintage" photo with a great story to go with it.

Susan Clark said...

Fabulous picture - and fabulous woman. Quite a legacy.

Cynthia Shenette said...

Michelle - Thank you so much for your comment! I'm glad you enjoyed the photo and the story as well. I try to be "wordless" on Wednesdays but every photo seems to have a story to tell!

Cynthia Shenette said...

Susan - Thank you for the comment! She was a fabulous woman. I love that she'd take these bus trips by herself. I don't go to the grocery store without my cell phone, and there she was going across country by herself on a bus. I can't imagine doing the same thing myself. Of course if I ever did, I KNOW she'd tell me not to...