Trip to Poland, 1937 (An Ongoing Series): The M.S. Pilsudski


The M.S. Pilsudski was an ocean liner owned by the Gdynia-America Line and named for Jozef Pilsudski, Marshal of Poland. The Gdynia-America Line was organized in 1930 by the Polish government to provide passenger service between New York, Halifax, Copenhagen, and Gdynia. The M.S. Pilsudski was launched in 1935, displaced 14,294 tons, and was 531 feet in length. Unfortunately the photo of my aunt Helen Bulak isn't as clear as I would like it to be, but I think the photo is interesting enough on it's own to forgive the lack of clarity.

6 comments:

June said...

My grandfather, Henryk Hochman, was a barber on the MS Pilsudski in 1937

Cynthia Shenette said...

June - That's so interesting! I am currently working with a man from Poland who is writing a book about the M/S Pilsudski. He is collecting stories from passengers and crew who sailed on the M/S Pilsudski and her sister ship the M/S Batory. I'm sure he'd love to hear from you. Leave another comment, and I would be happy to put you two in touch.

Zofia said...

Hi Cynthia, I'm trying to find some records of my uncle who we think was in a crew either on M/S Pilsudski or Batory. I am Polish/Jewish, leaving currently in the UK. Could you be so kind and put me in touch with the man in Poland who is writing a book about M/S Pilsudski?

Cynthia Shenette said...

Zofia - Thank you for your comment! I am waiting to hear back from the man writing the book on the Pilsudski and the Batory. I will publish his contact information as soon as I can, hopefully in the next week or so. Please check back to my blog for upcoming information!

June said...

... Cynthia, is there any progress on the book? Can you put me in touch with the author and or/Zofia ?

June

Cynthia Shenette said...

Hi June,

Check out my post, Memories of the M/S Pilsudski? An Author Wants YOU! at http://www.heritagezen.blogspot.com/2011/09/memories-of-ms-pilsudski-author-wants.html

I believe he is in the process of writing his book. I'm sure he would be happy to talk with you!

Thanks for checking back!