Niagara Honeymoon - Wordless Wednesday

(Original Image and Text, Copyright (c) 2012 Cynthia Shenette)  My grandparents, Adolf and Antonina (Bulak) Szerejko were married on February 11, 1920 (For wedding pictures see here and here.).  After their wedding they took the train to Niagara Falls for their honeymoon.  The quality of this photo is not the best, and I am not even sure if the people in the photo are my grandparents.  The man on the left looks like my grandfather when I zoom in, so it's reasonable to guess the woman on the right is my grandmother.  I can't be certain though.  My grandmother use to talk about how beautiful Niagara Falls was in February.  She said droplets of frozen water from the falls glistened on all the tree branches in the sunlight which made the landscape look like an icy winter wonderland.


Other Posts You Might Like:

Reading the Classifieds - Amanuensis Monday
Fascinating Ladies
Presenter Interview: Colleen Fitzpatrick, Forensic Genealogist
Does Your Library Have a Vertical File? - Tuesday's Tip

6 comments:

Barbara Poole said...

My first thought..Niagara Falls in February, no way. But, it was a popular spot and I'm sure they enjoyed every minute. Look at all that snow! Wonder who the man was behind them, any idea?

Nancy said...

Wow, it IS beautiful. Imagine going to Niagara Falls in February for a honeymoon. It gives me the chills.

Hey, I like your value calculator widget, Cynthia. I've been looking for one and this one looks great. Have you seen date calculators (going back 200 or so years)?

Magda said...

We went to Niagara Falls last January on the American side and it was amazing !Frozen Mother Nature .

Always enjoy reading your blog . I have Polish ancestry that I have been researching for over 20 years .

Magda

Carol said...

Hubby and I actually have gone to Niagara Falls in the winter, it is so different that a summer experience. This is a great photo! I think I remember that the falls have only frozen over one time?? Well, it is extremely rare. Saw photos of people walking from Canada to America crossing the frozen river. It was wild stuff.

Yes, it is bitter cold, but, totally magical. If you ever get to go do go up in that Spinning restaurant on the Canadian side! FANTASTIC views and even better in the winter.

TCasteel said...

Eke - that looks cold!
...but truly beautiful :-)

Cynthia Shenette said...

Barbara - I have to agree about Niagara in February! No way! Brrr! It must have been beautiful though to stick in her mind all those years later. I have no idea who the man is behind them. Probably just someone who got caught in the photo.

Nancy - It gives me chills, too. The world was a smaller place back then, so they probably had to travel someplace that wasn't that far away and they could get to easily by train. I like the calculator widget too, BTW. I use it all the time. I haven't looked for a date calculator, but one would certainly be useful. If you find a good one I'd love to know about it.

Magda - Wow! Someone brave enough to go to Niagara in January! I'm impressed! Thank you for reading my blog, BTW. I'm always happy to connect and learn from other people doing Polish research!

Carol - Wow! Another brave soul venturing to Niagara in winter! Magical is a great way to describe it. My grandmother didn't use that word, but you could tell how awed she was by it. My husband and I visited in September about 10 years ago on our way home from Toronto and it was lovely. I wasn't aware of the rotating restaurant, but will definitely check it out if we go back!

TCasteel - Eek is right!

Thank you all for your comments!